The Church of St Michael the Archangel
The Parish is served by the Catholic Church of St Michael located on Church Street, it was built in 1834 and extensively repaired and refurbished in 1926. The current co-parish priests are Fr. Tony Casey and Fr. Pat Larkin. Fr. Peter O’Loughlin the former parish priest is enjoying semi-retirement as assistant parish priest, he still says the majority of Masses in St Michael’s.
A Message from Fr. Peter
Public celebration of Mass at St Michael’s has recommenced subject to the rules published on the parish newsletter page and delivered to each household in the parish,
The parish is part of the Diocese of Killaloe and follows the diocesan safeguarding guidelines. A PDF copy of the 2018 statement on safeguarding can be downloaded here:
You can view more detailed guidance on the area of safeguarding on the diocesan website at: http://www.killaloediocese.ie/safeguarding/safeguarding.html.
Our Parish Safeguarding representatives are: Carmel Coughlan and John Kelly who can be contacted via the Parish Office.
The Parish office is based in the Meadow Community Centre for older residents just off the Creegh Road on the grounds of the former Parochial House (see weekly parish newsletter for opening hours).
Signed Mass Cards are available in Parish Office in the Meadow, please phone 065 905 0824 or 086 809 5965.
The 8,089 acres that make up the Parish of Kilmihil, in West Clare, comprise 21 Townlands with the village of Kilmihil forming the main centre of population. The main Ennis to Kilrush road forms part of the Eastern boundary of the Parish with the village centre approximately two miles to the West of this boundary on the road to Doonbeg.
The parish economy is primarily reliant on agriculture, many people also commute to manufacturing and service jobs in Ennis, Shannon and Kilrush.
Ahaga, Ballydineen, Boulynameal, Carraige, Cahercanavan, Cahermurphy, Castlepark, Cloonakilla, Cragg, Glenmore, Greygrove, Kiltumper, Knockalough, Knockmore, Lack East, Lack West, Lacken, Lietrim, Lissenair, Sorrel Island, Shyan.
The Shrine of St Michael
The Shrine of St Michael is on Main Street and adjoins the old graveyard, the shrine is based around St Michael’s Holy Well which was reputedly discovered in 1632 and was a place of pilgrimage even in penal times.
The current shrine was opened in 1937 and is lovingly cared for by the community.
Kilmihil Community Centre
The Parish Community Centre with its Library, pre-School, offices and main hall is located on Church Street.