In this section of the Kilmihil website we have collected together information on the history and genealogy of Kilmihil and its townlands.
There are more historic photographs in the Gallery section of this site and there are books held in the local library which can help anyone doing detailed historic research.
If you are researching locations and heritage sites the heritage.ie site is invaluable with maps going back to the 1840s. Some tips for using this site are to always wait for pages to fully load before searching and search by townland.
Kilmihil’s roots are firmly based around St Michael’s Church which was reputedly founded here, by St Senan, around 530AD and from which the name Kilmihil is derived. The ruins of the medieval church will be found in the graveyard. The current church was opened in 1837 and we have a number of parish records dating from the 1840’s which have been transcribed for us, please use the links to view them.
- The Baptism Records, from 1846-1905
- The Marriage Register for the 150 years from 1849-1999 records 1322 marriages
- A Death Register kept by St Michael’s Church since 1941.
We also recommend looking at the Clare County Library Genealogy section which contains a number of digitised records for census, land holdings and court proceedings.
As well as Church records there was a survey in 2005/6 of the over 3000 gravestones and grave markers located in the five graveyards scattered around the parish this was recently updated by Mary Downes and Carmel Dolan, these records can be accessed here Graveyard Register
On a more general note we have included information on antiquities and artifacts from the Kilmihil area and a synopsis of some of the traditions associated with Kilmihil including some audio recordings of older members of our community.